Thursday, December 21, 2017

The Coming of the Light


Today is the winter solstice in the northern hemisphere.  Here today it is dull, grey, depressing.  It is also the one year 'anniversary' (if you will) of mom going into hospital, then hospice.

It is a day to pause, reflect.  Taking stock.  Goal setting.  The new year begins with the returning of the light.  And so I have been dealing with a lot of things, emotional, physical, professional.

My entire life I have believed that encouraging others takes nothing away from me.  My approach to weaving is to encourage, inform (to the best of my ability) and - hopefully - light up someone else with the joy and delight I take in creating textiles.

Many things got put on hold this year.  I am hoping to return to some of them.  Some may get discarded.  Most people my age are 'retired' but how can I 'retire' to do what I love when I am already doing that? 

But I am also tired.  So I am looking at how much time I have in relation to how much energy, and am making choices. 

I don't make resolutions for the new year.  Instead I focus on what is important to me.  I made goals.  I set (arbitrary) deadlines for myself. 

There is no point, for me, to have goals if I don't also have a finish date to work towards.

So today, as the earth completes another journey around the sun, I encourage everyone to pause, take a deep breath, focus on what is important and work steadily towards the good and positive in their lives.  Maybe even light a few candles.  Because we can all use all the light we can get.


No comments: