Friday, November 4, 2016

Challenges




One of the challenges with trying to sell on line is getting good photographs of textiles.  This is a lot harder than you might think.

First of all - accurate colour.  Colour on the internet is difficult because it may look perfect on my monitor - and vastly different on someone else's.

There is also the lack of tactile experience.  How to convey how something feels in the hand?  The warmth of it, or the coolness?  How soft, or rigid?  The texture?

All of these things are missing from the on line shopping experience.

I have had the best sales from people who are either weavers, or have already seen my textiles in real life.  So it was a bit of a stretch for me to sign up for an on line 'shop' through Circle Craft

In the end I decided that, since I have sold my textiles at the Circle Craft Christmas Market for a number of years now, and have developed a bit of a following, that perhaps having a shop associated with the market would be a good thing.

Once we are home from Vancouver - and I see what is left of my inventory - I will attempt to get photos of my textiles and post them to my shop.

Stay Tuned!

1 comment:

Peg Cherre said...

I like the concept. None of the shows I do have an associated online store. My own website garners very little activity, so I focus very little time on it. I think even if I spent a lot of time on it I wouldn't get many sales that way. Could be wrong, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

But if the shows I did had an online marketplace, I think I'd be happy to jump on that bandwagon.