Wednesday, March 16, 2016

A 'Real' Book


46 closely packed pages of text, photos and drafts which are, in reality, more like 75 plus pages, with suggestions for changes and marked typos to be corrected.  

So far, two friendly alpha readers have gone through the pages and been kind enough to say what i have to share, should be.  On the days I wonder if the wracking of my little grey cells is worth it, my friends assure me it is...

A brief chat with a couple of 'real' authors helped put the writing experience in perspective.  It doesn't matter if it is fiction or non-fiction, writing takes time, thought and organization...whatever form that may take.  It also takes reflection and editing.  Sometimes many times.  Frequently, many times.  Communication is not a one way street, although it may seem like it as I struggle to find the right words, the correct phrases, to express what I want to say.  By having someone else (preferably several someones) edit my words and let me know if they understand the concepts I am trying to convey, hopefully the message will be understandable.  

We return home on Sunday with a pile of deadlines and obligations waiting.  I have to find some references before I will dig back into the writing.  I am far behind where i had hoped to be in terms of word/page count this far into the year, but it is really beginning to feel like a book.  A real book.  



3 comments:

steelwool said...

Kudos on your pages. Some of us seem to have more faith in your writing skills than you appear to have. We follow the blog, gleaning gems along the way. I still regret no one mentioning that bobbins made by one company will only work with that same company's shuttles. All the advice I received said buy used if you wanted to save money. Waiting for the book knowing it will help.

Peg Cherre said...

Writing & weaving, both slow endeavors. Both requiring lots of experience to gain efficiency. Both needing you to know where you want to end up before you start. Both allowing for changes both large and small during the process. Both can be frustrating during the learning curve, but so satisfying when done!

Kathy said...

Laura, your book is so important on many levels. Not only are you an outstanding and technically proficient weaver, but you also can communicate your experiences to others, and very well done at that.
While there are many pattern books for weavers to peruse there aren't too many about someone who has dedicated their life to making a living at weaving.
I, for one, am very much looking forward to reading your book. From your blog and emails I have come to not only respect you and the high level of craftsmanship in your works, but come to know how dedicated you are in sharing what you know as well.
I know you'll surmount those edit markings and the end result will be more than worth it on so many levels.
And thank you for that.