Thursday, August 6, 2015

Forging Ahead



The colour isn't quite true in the photo - the red is a true scarlet.

Over all I'm pretty happy with this.  I could have futzed some more but in the end it's working and there are very distinctive pine trees (border) and snowballs.

I've been wanting to expand my intellectual pursuit of weaving for a while and converting the overshot (and in this case Summer and Winter) designs into twill blocks has been fun.  But I think I've taken this as far as I want/need to.  Which is a good thing considering that I'm contemplating Another Big Project.

I rather suspect that preparing, developing and ultimately writing and promoting another book is going to be all the intellectual stimulation I'm going to be able to handle.  All the while weaving for the craft fairs.

Linda Heinrich made the observation that writing a book is like birthing an elephant.  It takes at least two years.  I would have to agree with her, especially when it is a technical book.

In some ways, not having very many teaching dates is A Good Thing.  I will be pouring everything I've got into this New Big Project.  There isn't going to be a lot left over.

The Foreward has been simmering away in the back of my mind as I prepared this warp.  I'm not quite ready to put words down, but I'd like to have that accomplished before I meet with the graphic artist because the Foreward will essentially be my Mission Statement.  Once I get that firmed up, the focus will be clearer.  Once I know where I'm going, I will be more able to chart a path in order to get there.

Or at least, that's the plan.

1 comment:

Anita J said...

Go for it Laura. I look forward to anything you write about.