Sunday, August 16, 2015

Big Jobs

I was maybe five when a friend and I decided it would be a good idea to dig to China.  I don't remember now WHY we thought it was a good idea, but we swung into action with our toy shovels and maybe a trowel and started digging.  The hole was sizeable.  It had to fit the both of us, after all, and by the time my mother came out to see what we were up to, the hole was already a foot or more deep.

I remember her standing on the pile of dirt already excavated, asking us, not in an angry way, just curious, "What are you two doing?"

"Digging to China."  "That's a long way away."  "We know."  "OK."

What she did NOT do was demand we stop, comment on the amount of dirt we were wearing, or make fun of us.  Knowing my mom, she probably brought us some cold drinks. 

By the time dinner was ready the hole was about four feet across and about three feet deep.   Digging to China had kept us busy for the whole afternoon.   I doubt dad was impressed but I don't recall him scolding me, either.  What he did do was quietly fill the hole in after I went to bed.

The lesson?  Not to be wary of working hard.  Not to be afraid to have a dream and work towards it, even when it might be futile.  That my parents respected focus and hard work.

People often comment that they get bored and wonder how I can weave off a 40 yard warp.   It's easier than digging a hole to China!  😇


1 comment:

1horsetown said...

My brother's hole reached the rather impressive depth of over 6 feet. It kept them busy for about 10 days. I imagine my dad got to fill that one in, too. Gotta let kids be kids.

I knit a 5.5 foot table cloth on #0 needles with #20 crochet thread. Big projects don't scare me, either.