Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Snap, Crackle



In spite of running the humidifier for several days, this warp proceeded to crackle and the threads splay outwards away from each other anyway.  So out with the spray bottle to tame the wild static electricity!

After winding I sprayed the entire warp chain, then put the box and all into a plastic bag in hopes of the fibre absorbing some of the moisture.  But I rather suspect I'll wait until the humidity has increased before attempting to dress the loom and weave it.  My hands are rough from the dry weather and with the tendency of the silk to cling onto everything?  I'm going to exercise a little patience and wait for better weather!

2 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Interesting that the dryness/humidity factor is So important. I'm fascinated by your blogs describing the process and I want to thank you for taking the time and effort to share.

Laura said...

If you can get "Udder Cream," it is the best thing for dry skin that has to deal with silk. It isn't greasy, so there's no residue deposited on the yarn that you're dealing with.

Sorry you're dealing with lack of humidity -it's currently 60% here, which is unusual.

I have to weigh some fiber for an upcoming show - I'm having to err on the heavy side to adjust for the increased humidity!