Thursday, December 26, 2013

Making Maps


another red warp using up Lynn's yarn (the variegated - red/blue/green)


I love maps.  I like to pore over them, putting myself in context with where I am, and where I want to go.

I use things like lists and outlines to help define my goals and what I want to accomplish.  Most time I don't have actual written down lists, just mental ones.  But at times a project becomes so big I can't quite capture it all in my imagination and then I need to use real written down lists.

Being self-employed most of my deadlines are self-imposed.  It took years for me to realize that if I missed one of those it was not a big deal.  I just tore up my out dated list and made a new one, or revised my deadline to reflect Life Happening.

So while I didn't get the experiment for Handwoven done when I wanted to, I'm still well ahead of their deadline.  It's all but ready to package up and mail (samples, cd with file, etc.).  Just waiting to hear back about a couple of questions I would like answered before I send.

There is a yarn order on my desk, which I intend to send tonight, a conference proposal I'm not sure I'm going to apply to teach at, and then...then it is the turn of the formal outline for the Project That Cannot (Yet) Be Named.

The magnitude of this project is such that I have to work with a team and, since they can't read my mind or tap into my imagination, the only thing to be done is to draw up a real written outline - a blueprint we can all follow.  Then once we are all on track I can proceed with my end.  But time has gotten very tight given all my other committments and I am going to have to stop working on generic stash reduction and start on the woven samples for The Project.  Once I have my 'map' I know what road to take, so to speak.  After all, if you don't know where you're going, any road will do.

Currently reading The Gates of Sleep by Mercedes Lackey

1 comment:

A textile a day said...

Hi Laura. Happy New Year, I am just reading over your last month or so posts and came across your love of maps. Well you would love my job at the moment, working at the Australian National Library in the Mapping Our World exhibition. the maps are amazing starting from the 4th century. Here is a taste. http://www.nla.gov.au/exhibitions/mapping-our-world