Friday, October 18, 2013

And So The Year Ends....

"Wait, what?  Year end? What are you talking about?  It's only October!  We haven't had Hallowe'en let alone Christmas!" I can hear you asking.

The reality is, if you are a production weaver (potter, woodworker, etc.) relying on the autumn/Christmas sales for the majority of your income, your year pretty much ends one week before your first show.  Unless you are saner than I am and don't book a bazillion shows back to back throughout October/November and December.

So this warp of muted blue/greens...


...is actually slated for next year's sales.  As is all other work scheduled during the next 2.5 months.

If I should get any of this warp woven, wet finished, hemmed and pressed in time for any of the upcoming sales, they will be a 'bonus'.  But I am not putting any pressure on myself whatsoever to have them finished for this year.

As soon as I get home from Calgary I will be plunged into finalizing the workshop in January at John C. Campbell Folk School .  There is a faint possibility that I might do a workshop in Knoxville, TN after that but the time line is very tight so I don't know if we can pull it together or not.

I have deadlines for the end of February for Handwoven submissions, one of which will require extensive 'sampling'.

There is a Beginning Weaving Workshop here in Prince George in March and a workshop in Tacoma, WA in April plus the Vancouver Guild program following that.

And over riding all of these deadlines is the big deadline, the one I can't miss, for the Next Big Project the first full week of May.

So yes, for me, 2013 is pretty much 'over' and I'm already working on 2014 deadlines....

4 comments:

Fran said...



Lovely pattern and color shading. Fran

Unknown said...

Subtle and beautiful. Question: Do you have an opinion on using an end-feed shuttle? Thanks.

Laura Fry said...

I don't but it all depends on the person. I find most of the end feed/delivery shuttles too heavy for the extended weaving sessions I do. I borrowed one from a friend and by the time I finished the warp I was having carpal tunnel issues. So it was back to my trusty boat shuttles.

That said, each to their own. :)

cheers,
Laura

Anonymous said...

It is amazing that I would find you at a time when I am questioning what to do with myself. And realizing that I need to learn more about the realities of life as a weaver. Which is my dream.
The more I learn the more I want it.
You were only talking about everyday realities but I want to say thank you any way.