Friday, March 8, 2013

Scarf #3


I wasn't sure the camera captured the lovely subtlety of this warp until I downloaded the picture, but this is pretty close.  The lower part is actually a stronger orange, which I think you can just sort of make out.  It is transitioning to a deeper slightly purple pink which likewise doesn't really show true to life in the photo.

This scarf is being woven in plain weave using Bambu 12 in a mid-range slightly 'off' red (towards a browner tone).  The beauty of this colour is that it almost disappears into the cloth while making the warp colours stand out.

As I've mentioned before, weaving plain weave well is one of the most technically difficult weave structures weavers can attempt.  When using a weft of high contrast to the warp, every little inconsistency in the beat will glare.  On the other hand, plain weave really shows off the skill of the dyer as she captures the lovely gradients of colour and the shifting from one hue to the next.

We had a fairly long conversation today, getting to know each other a little better.  We now have to sit down and have a good long think about whether or not a collaboration is going to be economical.  Regardless, I'm hoping to meet with her in person on my trip south next month.  But first I have to get the warps woven off, which means I have a lot of work cut out for me, what with the road trip north coming up rather quickly and all the preparation that needs to be done before I leave.  :-/

The yarn order from Brassard has arrived, much of it has to be coned off and labelled/priced and oh, yes, packed up and loaded into the van.  At least I'll have lots of traction (although with a front wheel drive, that argument doesn't really work!)  :^)

1 comment:

charlotte said...

The scarf is really lovely, happy colors :-)