Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Tentatively



I'm feeling much improved today after both massage and another chiropractic adjustment yesterday.  So much so that I decided to give weaving a go - although I only did a yard and didn't push any further than that (about 30 minutes).  I'm quite pleased with the way this warp is weaving up and I think the combination of cotton and hemp for towels will be a successful one.  The samples of cotton and hemp I've done so far have produced a very nice cloth and this one feels very similar to cottolin.

It suddenly occurred to me that this warp would be perfect to use some of the colour grown cotton in either the natural green or the natural brown since both colours are in this warp so once the samples are woven I'll switch to towels.

Doug is off pressing a huge stack of cloth - some more place mats that will require their hemming, the sample cloth for the designer in Vancouver (hemp warp, cotton weft) and an enormous stack of hemmed towels needing their finishing press - and then their labels.

Which reminds me that I need to get more business cards and hang tags designed, so when I'm feeling a little less 'fragile' I guess a trip to Staples will be in order.

Such a relief to be able to weave again - in fact weaving feels more comfortable than just sitting so I will rest a bit, weave another yard and then see how I feel.  I've also started cutting apart the 100% hemp samples although I won't be lifting and carrying the serger over to the work table.  That will have to wait a few more days, I think.  Lifting something heavy is probably not something I should be tackling for a while.  Guess that means Doug will have to go to the post office to fetch the yarn orders when they come in!

3 comments:

Marei said...

Glad that you're feeling better today. Don't push it...I know you know that, but had to say it. Being incapacitated for a day is much better than being laid up for a week!!

Laura Fry said...

Yes, I took it easy and over three sessions managed to weave two yards. Today I have to prepare workshop drafts/handouts but I may try weaving for a little bit again. :)

cheers,
Laura

charlotte said...

I'm glad your back is better. I cross my fingers for a swift recovery!